Only certain kinds of debts can be included in a Debt Management Plan. Credit cards and other unsecured debts traditionally make up DMPs; secured debts cannot be included, nor can student loans or tax debt. However, by targeting and eliminating credit card debt, clients can free up income to apply to other obligations like student loans.
Some clients have non-credit card related debts that are unsecured, such as small medical or collection debts. These can typically be included in a DMP.
Credit.org offers debt management plans in all 50 states via phone and internet.
Advantages and Benefits
Creditors work with us to offer certain benefits while on a DMP. This allows everyone to succeed; the client is able to make the more manageable monthly payment, and the creditor is repaid.
- Lower monthly payments
- Consolidated debt payments
- Interest reduced
- Penalty fees waived or reduced
- Bankruptcy avoided
- Past due accounts are re-aged
- Access to professional help
- Debts are eliminated in 5 years or less
- Debt payoff accelerates during the DMP
- Collection calls stop
- Credit counseling is free and carries no obligation
- All debt counseling is strictly confidential